NEW SITE AND BLOG

Life Center of Brandon - Pastor's Blog

Full Armor of God Illustrative Video

Revival in Mississippi?

Saturday, December 1, 2007

It's Black Friday, What Would Jesus Buy?

Well, Black Friday came and went a couple of weeks ago and for the first time in years, I decided not to participate.

No standing in lines, no waking up at 2 am to get somewhere to buy something.

It's not like I didn't know what was on sale. You can find those sales ads online (http://bfads.net/).

It's just that I didn't care.

Yes, in the world of Wal-Mart altars and consumer created gods, this is heresy I know.

But it's at the point for me, that what the most powerful retailers in America have to offer, doesn't add up to a hill of beans.

In Luke 12:15 we read what Jesus said:


"Be careful to guard yourselves from every kind of greed.

Life is not about having a lot of material possessions."

Stuff doesn't make us happy. Jesus does!

Stuff breaks or ends up in garage sales. Jesus never does!

My relationship with Christ is eternal and valuable beyond the big screen trinkets of life.

I was shocked to see that people were camped out in front of Best Buy since the day before Thanksgiving this year.

But am I against stuff? How can I be, since I myself have my fair share.

Am I against Black Friday? Not really, I know retailers have profits to make and employees to pay.

What I stand against is the never ending hunt for bigger and better stuff in an attempt to fill the empty void in our lives.

Stuff can't do that. Only Jesus Christ can.

There will always be bigger TV's, faster computers and cooler I-Pods.

Jesus is the only constant that never changes.

Jesus is the only one who can truly add value and purpose to our lives.

Only Jesus can fill the aching void deep within.

With Jesus, everything changes.

Historically, Jesus was crucified and died on a Friday. That was the day he purchased us from the mastery of sin.

That was his Black Friday.

He went shopping that day on the cross of Calvary.

What he bought was you. The currency he used was his own life.

If you don't know him, today is good day to invite him into your life.

A simple prayer is all it takes:

"Jesus I need you, give me a new life, a new start.
Forgive me of my sins...of all the wrong I've ever done...
I believe you died for me...
paid the price of my wrongdoings and sin...
I believe you rose from the dead and are alive today.
I believe you are who I need right now to change my life for the
better."



God bless.

No comments: